I didn’t get pictures of all my steps, but here’s what I did in a nutshell to the right part of the mask:

Heat Forming – I heated and formed the parts to a slightly curved shape to fit the face better and represent what’s in the original art. Then, I heat formed “wrinkles” into the wings to give them depth.

Assembly – I assembled the parts with a good strong glue, and then filled gaps and sanded edges to make everything fit nicely.

Paint – I started with several coats of high metallic bronze acrylic paint. Then, I blackwashed it lightly. Then I washed it in a really dark bronze. Then, I blackwashed it again and daubed it for texture. Here’s what came out, and I really hope the customer likes the paint scheme.

IMG_1543

I received a commission to recreate the mask from a cool art piece of a steampunk era Huntress.

Here is the original art piece by http://michaeldooney.deviantart.com/

http://michaeldooney.deviantart.com/

I’ll be building the mask from genuine leather and ABS plastic sheet, painted to look bronze. First, I created a vector blueprint based on what I saw in the art.

steampunk huntress mask

Then, I separated the pieces in the vector and printed the lineart at full scale to cut out the ABS pieces.

IMG_1527

Next up: Cut out some clear, slightly domed, lenses and make the head-strap attachment hardware!